SUSTAINABLE FIBRE | MILL OPERATIONS | FIBRE USAGE
Chaleur Sawmills procures annually a large portion of its fibre requirements from the New Brunswick Crown Forest. Chaleur Sawmills has a long-term agreement with the Province of New Brunswick for this supply of fibre. The New Brunswick Crown Forest is managed under a long-term forest management plan that provides a sustainable source of softwood fibres. All forest management and harvest operations are managed under a third-party certified Environmental Management System (EMS).
Chaleur Sawmills is proud to support the New Brunswick initiative to provide economic benefit and employment to our First Nation Communities. Chaleur Sawmills enters into annual purchase agreements with a number of these communities to purchase their softwood saw-able material. This is another important source of sustainable crown land fibre for Chaleur Sawmills.
The remainder of Chaleur Sawmills' fibre supply is provided from private land sourcing in New Brunswick and Quebec as well as other industrial fibre trades.
When sourcing private wood, Chaleur Sawmills expects the seller to promote and apply Best Management Practices (BMP’s).
Chaleur Sawmills as per the requirement of the Air Quality Regulation – Clean Air Act has an Approval to Operate. The current Class 3 permit was issued on March 30, 2016, and is valid until March 29, 2021.
The Approval specifies operating conditions and emission limits. The following is an item summary of the Terms and Conditions of the permit. It's against the law to violate the terms of an Approval.
- Emergency Reporting
- Facility Management
- Testing and Monitoring
DID YOU KNOW?
The forest is a renewable resource. In New Brunswick 50% of the land is public and 50% are private lots. Less than 2% of forest territory is harvested each year. The vast majority of forests (67%) regenerate naturally. For the remaining 33% reforestation is necessary, this accounts for only 15% of all woodlands in NB.
At Chaleur Sawmills we strive on getting full value out of every tree. Our continual improvement strategy and investments allow us to recover all saw-able material from every tree.
AT CHALEUR SAWMILLS NO PART OF THE LOG IS WASTED
This product ranks second only to lumber in importance it is sold to local pulp and paper mills.
All marketable lumber is processed from the log. Chaleur Sawmills recovers all 2" and 1" thick material and lengths as short as 4 feet.
SAWDUST WOOD SAVINGS:
These residue products are sold local manufacturers of wood heating pellets and OSB.
This residue is used as biomass fuel to heat Chaleur Sawmills facilities as well as local hospitals and other institutions.